Starting this month Mrs. Cabeen is offering a Coding Club. A small group of students will have class with the Principal one day a week for 6-8 weeks. Parents will be able to ‘follow’ what we are doing through the blog and twitter at #PackInTrain. I will also shoot links of additional resources for extending learning at home. Below are just a few of the things Coding Club will be working on this Spring:
By learning to code and operate robots we will be able to:
- Create solutions for problems
- Collaborate with each other
- Develop visual spatial skills (the ability to mentally orientate, manipulate, track and rotate robots)
- Reflect on our learning
- Read and interpret visual information
- Demonstrate the safe and cooperative use of technology.
- Independently apply digital tools and resources to address a variety of tasks and problems.
- Communicate about technology using developmentally appropriate and accurate terminology
Standards we will be addressing:
International Society for Technology in Education. http://www.iste.org/
Creativity and innovation
- Students demonstrate creative thinking, construct knowledge, and develop innovative products and processes using technology.
- Apply existing knowledge to generate new ideas, products, or processes
Communication and collaboration
- Contribute to project teams to produce original works or solve problems
Research and information fluency
- Students apply digital tools to gather, evaluate and use information.
- Plan strategies to guide inquiry
Critical thinking, problem solving, and decision making
- Students use critical thinking skills to plan and conduct research, manage projects, solve problems, and make informed decisions using appropriate digital tools and resources.
- Students understand human, cultural, and societal issues related to technology and practice legal and ethical behavior.
- Exhibit a positive attitude toward using technology that supports collaboration, learning, and productivity
Each lesson will also integrated MN Kindergarten Standards in Math and English Language Arts. http://education.state.mn.us/MDE/EdExc/StanCurri/K-12AcademicStandards/index.htm